ISO 9001 Certification Cost
About ISO 9001 Certification Cost
ISO 9001:2015 is an ISO standard that specifies the requirements for a quality management system (QMS) that organizations can use to ensure that they are focused on meeting customer and applicable statutory and regulatory requirements, with the aim of maximizing customer satisfaction. ISO 9001 is the most popular ISO standard amongst ISO members from both the private and public sectors.
What Factors Influence ISO 9001 Certification Cost?
It’s difficult to predict the exact cost of ISO 9001 certification. It is largely dependent on the companies and the quality management systems in place. The fees paid to the certifying organization for auditing and certification, as well as the costs incurred by your company to achieve the ISO standard’s requirements, make up the total ISO 9001 certification cost. ISO 9001 certification cost depends on the following factors:
- Location of ISO 9001 organization: ISO 9001 certification cost in the USA depends on the ISO 9001 consultant’s location. Local costs for ISO consultants are usually higher than for ISO consultants from India or other countries. For example, an ISO 9001 consultant working in New York City will charge anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 per ISO 9001 certification project, while an ISO 9001 consultant in Delhi or Mumbai can charge from $1,000 to $3,500 for a similar job.
- The size and complexity of your organization: ISO 9001 certification cost also depends on the size and complexity of your ISO 9001 system. For example, ISO 9001 certification cost for a large global company with multiple plants and locations is more complex than ISO 9001 certification cost for a small local business. Therefore, ISO consultants will charge higher ISO 9001 consultant fees to larger organizations.
- ISO 9001 consultants’ experience: ISO 9001 consultant fees are directly proportional to ISO consultants’ experience. ISO 9001 certification cost for experienced ISO 9001 consultants is usually higher than that for less-experienced ISO consultants. ISO 9001 certification cost also varies depending on the ISO 9001 consultant’s experience in ISO management system assessments, ISO 9001 audits, and ISO 9001 certification.
- The number of ISO 9001 experts required: ISO 9001 consultant’s charges per hour depending on the number of ISO experts needed for a project. Obviously, the ISO 9001 certification cost will increase as more ISO 9001 consultants are required for a project.
- The number of locations that you want to certify: ISO 9001 certification cost also depends on the total number of ISO 9001 locations that you want to certify. ISO consultants will charge between $1,000 and $2,000 for ISO 9001 certification consulting services per ISO location for large organizations.
- The volume of ISO documentation: ISO review process requires revision of ISO 9001 document to improve its compliance with ISO 9001 standard requirements. ISO 9001 certification cost in the USA will be more if ISO consultants have to review ISO documents.
A Breakdown of the ISO 9001 Certification Cost
When ISO 9001 certification cost is broken down per ISO consultant, the ISO 9001 audit fee usually varies from $500 to $1,000. An ISO consulting project usually involves one ISO 9001 consultant who will assist you in achieving your ISO management system certification. An ISO consultant’s hourly rates typically range from $40 to $80 per ISO consultant hour but can vary depending on the ISO 9001 consultant’s experience and location.
A typical ISO 9001 certification project takes from 3 to 6 months to complete. The ISO consultants usually provide a detailed quote that includes the following:
- ISO 9001 consultant hourly rates and fees
- ISO 9001 document review and update charges
- ISO survey charges, if any
- Documentation fee
- ISO registration kit creation fee
- ISO audit fees
- ISO certification registration fee
- ISO consultant travel and accommodation fees, if required
- Recertification fees
The total ISO 9001 certification cost is typically spread over the above services. Overall, ISO 9001 certification costs, ISO audit fees, ISO registration costs and ISO certification renewal charges can vary widely. However, ISO 9001 certification cost is negotiable. ISO consultants will calculate an ISO 9001 project fee based on your company’s ISO management system requirements and ISO certification schedule. It is a good idea to talk with ISO consultants from different ISO companies about ISO 9001 certification cost before selecting a company for ISO management system consulting services.
ISO 9001 Certification Cost per Project
The ISO 9001 consultant usually charges a flat fee for ISO 9001 audit and certification projects, which makes ISO maintenance affordable. You can expect to pay between $2,000 and $4,000 for ISO 9001 certification fees per ISO project. ISO 9001 consultants will ask for an additional ISO consulting fee if your organization wants to ensure ISO system maintenance and ISO compliance in future years.
ISO 9001 Certification Cost: Is it Worth it?
In the end, the advantages of ISO 9001 certification outweigh the costs.
Managers are inclined to believe two things when it comes to ISO 9001 certification cost: (1) we’ll pay a lot of money for something we’re not convinced is worth it, and (2) the difficulty of maintaining such a system will cost us a lot more. Yes, ISO 9001 requires a financial investment, but one can argue that if the standard is correctly implemented, it will increase profitability. The following are some of the most significant benefits of ISO 9001 certification:
- Improves overall business performance.
- Reduces customer complaints and requests for refunds.
- Helps attract new customers by making your company more competitive.
- Builds a strong brand image, which increases your organization’s profitability.
- Improves business relationships through ISO management system transparency.
- Reduces your ISO audit frequency, ISO certification fees, and ISO outsourcing costs.